Curfew imposed in more areas of Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Curfew was on Monday clamped in more areas of the Kashmir Valley in view of incidents of violence in several parts and a protest march called by the separatists here.
"Curfew has been imposed in parts of Budgam district stretching from Hyderpora to district headquarter town and three towns of Pulwama district as a precautionary measure," a police spokesman said.
Restrictions have been imposed in Awantipora, Lethpora and Pampore towns of Pulwama, which fall on the Srinagar-Jammu National Highway.Stone pelting incidents took place in these place yesterday, disrupting the movement of traffic on the
Curfew also remained in force in Srinagar city, Anantnag and Bijbehara towns in south Kashmir and Sopore town in north Kashmir`s Baramulla district for the second day.
For the first time since the three-month old unrest started, authorities did not relax curfew last night and deployment of security forces continued in curfew-bound areas
through the night.
Although curfew was lifted from Baramulla town his morning, severe restrictions on the movement of people have been imposed in the north Kashmir town. Similar restrictions
have been put in place in Pattan, Ganderbal and Kupwara towns of the Valley.
At least 22 people, including 10 policemen, were injured in clashes yesterday, prompting the authorities to extend the ambit of curfew to other towns.
Curfew was imposed in several parts of Valley yesterday after several government buildings and police properties were torched by irate mobs on Saturday.
Curfew is being strictly implemented in view of the march called by the hardline faction of Hurriyat Conference to the local office of United Nations Military Observers Group
(UNMOG) at Sonawar.
Overnight protests continued at many places in the Valley during which a mob set a building on fire. The building, located at Peerbagh on Srinagar Airport road, was
set ablaze late last night. The unoccupied building was earlier being used by the CRPF.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy