Curfew imposed in parts of Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Curfew was on Friday imposed in parts of Kashmir Valley to prevent protests after Friday prayers as normal life was disrupted in Srinagar and some other areas
following a separatist-sponsored strike.
Curfew was imposed in north zone of Srinagar covering almost entire downtown Srinagar and Anantnag district town along with Bijbehara, a police spokesman said.
The prohibitory orders were also imposed in Shopian district town in south Kashmir and Kupwara district town as also in Trehgam, Kralpora, Chotipora, Kulangam and Handwara in north Kashmir early today.
The situation was, however, under control. "There is no report of any untoward incident from any place across the Valley," the spokesman said, adding there was no curfew in
Budgam, Ganderbal, Kulgam, Pulwama, Baramulla and Bandipora districts.
The restrictions were eased in curfew-bound areas of Kupwara district from 10 am, while there was no let up in the orders in Srinagar, Anantnag and Shopian districts, the
Meanwhile, shops and business establishments in the main markets remained closed and public transport was off the roads in Srinagar and other major towns of the Valley in response to the strike call given by hardline faction of Hurriyat Conference headed by Syed Ali Shah Geelani.
However, private vehicles were seen plying in the city and elsewhere. Almost all educational institutions functioned normally with students appearing in their final examinations.
Many people preferred to stay indoors also because of incessant rains coupled with icy winds which swept the Valley after the first snowfall in the high altitude areas.
Kashmir Valley has been in a grip of protests, strikes and curfew since June when a 17-year-old boy was killed by a tear smoke shell fired allegedly by police at Rajouri Kadal
area of the city.
More than 100 people have been killed and thousands others injured during the five-month unrest in the Valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre