Curfew imposed in parts of Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Curfew was on Friday imposed in parts of Kashmir Valley to prevent protests after Friday prayers as normal life was disrupted in Srinagar and some other areas
following a separatist-sponsored strike.
Curfew was imposed in north zone of Srinagar covering almost entire downtown Srinagar and Anantnag district town along with Bijbehara, a police spokesman said.
The prohibitory orders were also imposed in Shopian district town in south Kashmir and Kupwara district town as also in Trehgam, Kralpora, Chotipora, Kulangam and Handwara in north Kashmir early today.
The situation was, however, under control. "There is no report of any untoward incident from any place across the Valley," the spokesman said, adding there was no curfew in
Budgam, Ganderbal, Kulgam, Pulwama, Baramulla and Bandipora districts.
The restrictions were eased in curfew-bound areas of Kupwara district from 10 am, while there was no let up in the orders in Srinagar, Anantnag and Shopian districts, the
Meanwhile, shops and business establishments in the main markets remained closed and public transport was off the roads in Srinagar and other major towns of the Valley in response to the strike call given by hardline faction of Hurriyat Conference headed by Syed Ali Shah Geelani.
However, private vehicles were seen plying in the city and elsewhere. Almost all educational institutions functioned normally with students appearing in their final examinations.
Many people preferred to stay indoors also because of incessant rains coupled with icy winds which swept the Valley after the first snowfall in the high altitude areas.
Kashmir Valley has been in a grip of protests, strikes and curfew since June when a 17-year-old boy was killed by a tear smoke shell fired allegedly by police at Rajouri Kadal
area of the city.
More than 100 people have been killed and thousands others injured during the five-month unrest in the Valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins