Curfew imposed in parts of Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Curfew was on Friday imposed in parts of Kashmir Valley to prevent protests after Friday prayers as normal life was disrupted in Srinagar and some other areas
following a separatist-sponsored strike.
Curfew was imposed in north zone of Srinagar covering almost entire downtown Srinagar and Anantnag district town along with Bijbehara, a police spokesman said.
The prohibitory orders were also imposed in Shopian district town in south Kashmir and Kupwara district town as also in Trehgam, Kralpora, Chotipora, Kulangam and Handwara in north Kashmir early today.
The situation was, however, under control. "There is no report of any untoward incident from any place across the Valley," the spokesman said, adding there was no curfew in
Budgam, Ganderbal, Kulgam, Pulwama, Baramulla and Bandipora districts.
The restrictions were eased in curfew-bound areas of Kupwara district from 10 am, while there was no let up in the orders in Srinagar, Anantnag and Shopian districts, the
Meanwhile, shops and business establishments in the main markets remained closed and public transport was off the roads in Srinagar and other major towns of the Valley in response to the strike call given by hardline faction of Hurriyat Conference headed by Syed Ali Shah Geelani.
However, private vehicles were seen plying in the city and elsewhere. Almost all educational institutions functioned normally with students appearing in their final examinations.
Many people preferred to stay indoors also because of incessant rains coupled with icy winds which swept the Valley after the first snowfall in the high altitude areas.
Kashmir Valley has been in a grip of protests, strikes and curfew since June when a 17-year-old boy was killed by a tear smoke shell fired allegedly by police at Rajouri Kadal
area of the city.
More than 100 people have been killed and thousands others injured during the five-month unrest in the Valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India