Curfew imposed in Rajouri town
Jammu: A curfew has been imposed in the communally sensitive border town of Rajouri following clashes Wednesday evening, the authorities said.
"There were clashes and violence," a police officer said.
"The situation is sensitive and to prevent further worsening of the situation, curfew has been imposed," he added.
The authorities feared a flare-up after Hindi-Muslim relations were strained following a remark by Praveen Togadia, international general secretary of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad on Monday. The remarks were interpreted as "anti-Muslim" by community leaders, who took out protest marches.
Hindus retaliated with counter protests on Wednesday. Matters worsened Wednesday evening when a procession of Hindus was stoned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- AAP demands action against L-G Najeeb Jung in MM Khan murder case
- Grown up and gorgeous, Nysa poses with mother Kajol!
- UEFA Euro 2016: Spain Vs Italy, Germany Vs Slovakia, England Vs Iceland – The Round of 16 Fixtures in Full
- Cliff Richard feels 'tarnished' by sexual abuse allegations
- Companies with UK exposure trade mixed ahead of Brexit vote outcome