Curfew imposed in Rajouri town
Jammu: A curfew has been imposed in the communally sensitive border town of Rajouri following clashes Wednesday evening, the authorities said.
"There were clashes and violence," a police officer said.
"The situation is sensitive and to prevent further worsening of the situation, curfew has been imposed," he added.
The authorities feared a flare-up after Hindi-Muslim relations were strained following a remark by Praveen Togadia, international general secretary of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad on Monday. The remarks were interpreted as "anti-Muslim" by community leaders, who took out protest marches.
Hindus retaliated with counter protests on Wednesday. Matters worsened Wednesday evening when a procession of Hindus was stoned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket