Curfew imposed in Rajouri town
Jammu: A curfew has been imposed in the communally sensitive border town of Rajouri following clashes Wednesday evening, the authorities said.
"There were clashes and violence," a police officer said.
"The situation is sensitive and to prevent further worsening of the situation, curfew has been imposed," he added.
The authorities feared a flare-up after Hindi-Muslim relations were strained following a remark by Praveen Togadia, international general secretary of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad on Monday. The remarks were interpreted as "anti-Muslim" by community leaders, who took out protest marches.
Hindus retaliated with counter protests on Wednesday. Matters worsened Wednesday evening when a procession of Hindus was stoned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore