Curfew imposed in Rajouri town
Jammu: A curfew has been imposed in the communally sensitive border town of Rajouri following clashes Wednesday evening, the authorities said.
"There were clashes and violence," a police officer said.
"The situation is sensitive and to prevent further worsening of the situation, curfew has been imposed," he added.
The authorities feared a flare-up after Hindi-Muslim relations were strained following a remark by Praveen Togadia, international general secretary of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad on Monday. The remarks were interpreted as "anti-Muslim" by community leaders, who took out protest marches.
Hindus retaliated with counter protests on Wednesday. Matters worsened Wednesday evening when a procession of Hindus was stoned.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump