Curfew imposed in Rajouri town
Jammu: A curfew has been imposed in the communally sensitive border town of Rajouri following clashes Wednesday evening, the authorities said.
"There were clashes and violence," a police officer said.
"The situation is sensitive and to prevent further worsening of the situation, curfew has been imposed," he added.
The authorities feared a flare-up after Hindi-Muslim relations were strained following a remark by Praveen Togadia, international general secretary of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad on Monday. The remarks were interpreted as "anti-Muslim" by community leaders, who took out protest marches.
Hindus retaliated with counter protests on Wednesday. Matters worsened Wednesday evening when a procession of Hindus was stoned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA