Curfew in Kashmir for second day following clashes
Srinagar: Curfew continued to be imposed for the second day on Tuesday in parts of Bandipora district in north Kashmir following sectarian clashes over the past two days in which four persons were injured.
"Curfew continues to remain in force in Inderkoot and Sumbal areas of Bandipora district due to law and order problems," a police spokesman said.
The curfew was imposed yesterday after sectarian clashes broke out in Inderkoot village of Sumbal town, 40 kms from here.
Of the four persons injured in the clashes, three were injured when the security personnel guarding the house of political activist Abdul Rehman Kawoosa in Sumbal allegedly opened fire to control a mob that was pelting stones last evening.
While two persons received bullet injuries, another man was injured in stone pelting, official sources said, adding, all the three injured were shifted to a hospital in Sringar.
Sectarian clashes broke out in Inderkoot village in Sumbal town on Sunday in which one person was injured and a house was partially damaged in arson, the sources said.
The clashes erupted after a youth belonging to a minority Muslim sect was allegedly severely injured in a thrashing by a youth from the majority sect following an altercation, they said.
Members of the minority sect went on a rampage and allegedly set fire to the kitchen of the house belonging to a member of the majority sect, the sources said, adding, curfew was imposed to bring the situation under control and prevent the clashes from spreading to nearby areas.
Senior police officials including Inspector General of Kashmir Zone S M Sahai and DIG north Kashmir range Muneer Khan visited the curfew-bound areas yesterday to take stock of the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report