Curfew in Kashmir town for fourth day following clashes
Srinagar: Curfew continued to remain imposed without any relaxation in parts of Bandipora district of north Kashmir for the fourth consecutive day on Thursday following sectarian clashes in which four persons were injured.
"Curfew continues to remain in force in Inderkoot and Sumbal areas of Bandipora district due to law and order problems," a police spokesman told a news agency.
The curfew was imposed on December 20 after sectarian clashes broke out in Inderkoot area of Sumbal town, 40 km from here.
Of the four persons injured in the clashes, three were wounded when the security personnel guarding the house of political activist Abdul Rehman Kawoosa in Sumbal allegedly opened fire to control a mob that was pelting stones on the evening of December 20.
While two persons received bullet injuries, another man was injured in stone pelting.
Sectarian clashes broke out in Inderkoot village in Sumbal town on December 19 in which one person was injured and a house was partially damaged in arson.
The clashes erupted after a youth belonging to a minority Muslim sect was allegedly severely injured in a thrashing by a youth from the majority sect following an altercation.
Members of the minority sect went on a rampage and allegedly set fire to the kitchen of the house belonging to a member of the majority sect.
Curfew was imposed to bring the situation under control
and prevent the clashes from spreading to nearby areas,
Although no fresh clashes have taken place in the curfew
bound areas, tension continues to prevail which has left the
authorities with no option but to clamp the restrictions for
an indefinite period, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption