Curfew in parts of Shopian, Kulgam districts as situation remains tense
Srinagar: Curfew was imposed on Sunday in parts of Shopian and Kulgam districts of south Kashmir following killing of four persons in a firing incident yesterday, police said.
Curfew has been imposed in police station areas of Shopian, Zainapora and Kulgam as a precautionary measure, a police spokesman said.
He said police and paramilitary CRPF have been deployed in strength in rest of the areas of the two districts to maintain law and order.
The prohibitory orders on the movement of the people were enforced in the affected areas after four persons, including two civilians, were killed in a firing incident following attack on a CRPF camp at Gagran in Shopian, 52 kms from here, yesterday.
Violent protests were witnessed in Shopian town and adjoining areas after the incident yesterday.
While two of the deceased have been identified as Mohammad Yusuf and Tauseef Ahmad -- both civilians and residents of Shopian, another slain youth has been identified as Tariq Ahmad of Kulgam.
Police suspect Tariq of having militant links after some weapons were recovered near his body. Police alleged that the mobile phone recovered from the spot was earlier used by Lashkar-e-Toiba militants.
The identity of the fourth deceased could not be ascertained so far, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family