Curfew in Shopian, partial restrictions in Srinagar
Srinagar: Authorities continued curfew in south Kashmir Shopian, Kulgam and some other towns of Jammu and Kashmir on Friday to maintain law and order.
Tension had gripped Shopian town on Wednesday, when a civilian was killed allegedly in paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) firing in Gagaran village, adjacent to Shopian town.
Four people were killed Saturday at the same place in CRPF firing.
Three of the slain were later found to be unarmed civilians.
Curfew was imposed in Shopian town on Wednesday. It has also been imposed in south Kashmir Kulgam, Kakapora and Khudwani towns.
Jammu and Kashmir government Thursday ordered the shifting of the CRPF camp from Gagaran and its replacement by local armed police.
A probe headed by the district magistrate of Shopian has also been ordered in both firing incidents of September 7 and 11.
State police has been directed by the government to submit its investigation report on the firing incidents within 24 hours, so that the government is able to decide whether a judicial probe needs to be undertaken into these incidents.
Separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani has appealed to the people to protest the Gagaran firing incidents after Friday prayers.
Authorities have imposed restrictions in and around Srinagar city centre Lal Chowk, where Pro-Azad Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chairman Muhammad Yasin Malik has announced a sit-in Friday against the Gagaran firing incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam