Curfew in Shopian, partial restrictions in Srinagar
Srinagar: Authorities continued curfew in south Kashmir Shopian, Kulgam and some other towns of Jammu and Kashmir on Friday to maintain law and order.
Tension had gripped Shopian town on Wednesday, when a civilian was killed allegedly in paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) firing in Gagaran village, adjacent to Shopian town.
Four people were killed Saturday at the same place in CRPF firing.
Three of the slain were later found to be unarmed civilians.
Curfew was imposed in Shopian town on Wednesday. It has also been imposed in south Kashmir Kulgam, Kakapora and Khudwani towns.
Jammu and Kashmir government Thursday ordered the shifting of the CRPF camp from Gagaran and its replacement by local armed police.
A probe headed by the district magistrate of Shopian has also been ordered in both firing incidents of September 7 and 11.
State police has been directed by the government to submit its investigation report on the firing incidents within 24 hours, so that the government is able to decide whether a judicial probe needs to be undertaken into these incidents.
Separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani has appealed to the people to protest the Gagaran firing incidents after Friday prayers.
Authorities have imposed restrictions in and around Srinagar city centre Lal Chowk, where Pro-Azad Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chairman Muhammad Yasin Malik has announced a sit-in Friday against the Gagaran firing incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'