Curfew in Sopore, restrictions in rest of Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Curfew was on Tuesday clamped in
Sopore town and restrictions imposed of the movement of people
in the rest of the Kashmir Valley in view of the tense
situation after a youth was killed in alleged firing by
security forces in Baramulla.
In the city, prohibitory orders have been imposed in
areas falling under 13 police stations of Nowhatta, Khanyar,
Maharajgunj, Rainawari, Safakadal, Soura, Lalbazar, Nigeen and
Noorbagh in old city and Batmaloo, Maisuma, Kralkhud and
Shaheedgunj in uptown, police said.
Restrictions on movement of people have also been
imposed in Ganderbal and Budgam districts.
Police said the decision to impose curfew and
restrictions was taken to maintain law and order after the
situation turned tense following the killing of 25-year-old
Fayaz Ahmad Khanday in alleged firing by security forces in
Baramulla town, 55 kms from here, last evening.
Twelve others were injured in the firing by a joint
party of police and CRPF when a group of youth attacked an
armoured vehicle near the office of Roads and Building
department last evening.
The protesters defied prohibitory orders and tried to
march in a procession towards the office of the deputy
commissioner to press for an inquiry into the death of Class
VII student Faizan Ahmad Buhroo, whose body was fished out
from river Jehlum after he drowned during a clash between
police and protestors.
Additional companies of police and paramilitary forces
have been deployed in Sopore and other areas of the Valley,
Life was also disrupted in the Valley due to the
week-long shutdown called by the hardline faction of Hurriyat
Conference led by jailed leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani on July
17 to protest killing of several youths in the past one
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day