Curfew in Sopore, restrictions in rest of Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Curfew was on Tuesday clamped in
Sopore town and restrictions imposed of the movement of people
in the rest of the Kashmir Valley in view of the tense
situation after a youth was killed in alleged firing by
security forces in Baramulla.
In the city, prohibitory orders have been imposed in
areas falling under 13 police stations of Nowhatta, Khanyar,
Maharajgunj, Rainawari, Safakadal, Soura, Lalbazar, Nigeen and
Noorbagh in old city and Batmaloo, Maisuma, Kralkhud and
Shaheedgunj in uptown, police said.
Restrictions on movement of people have also been
imposed in Ganderbal and Budgam districts.
Police said the decision to impose curfew and
restrictions was taken to maintain law and order after the
situation turned tense following the killing of 25-year-old
Fayaz Ahmad Khanday in alleged firing by security forces in
Baramulla town, 55 kms from here, last evening.
Twelve others were injured in the firing by a joint
party of police and CRPF when a group of youth attacked an
armoured vehicle near the office of Roads and Building
department last evening.
The protesters defied prohibitory orders and tried to
march in a procession towards the office of the deputy
commissioner to press for an inquiry into the death of Class
VII student Faizan Ahmad Buhroo, whose body was fished out
from river Jehlum after he drowned during a clash between
police and protestors.
Additional companies of police and paramilitary forces
have been deployed in Sopore and other areas of the Valley,
Life was also disrupted in the Valley due to the
week-long shutdown called by the hardline faction of Hurriyat
Conference led by jailed leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani on July
17 to protest killing of several youths in the past one
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?