Curfew in Sopore, restrictions in rest of Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Curfew was on Tuesday clamped in
Sopore town and restrictions imposed of the movement of people
in the rest of the Kashmir Valley in view of the tense
situation after a youth was killed in alleged firing by
security forces in Baramulla.
In the city, prohibitory orders have been imposed in
areas falling under 13 police stations of Nowhatta, Khanyar,
Maharajgunj, Rainawari, Safakadal, Soura, Lalbazar, Nigeen and
Noorbagh in old city and Batmaloo, Maisuma, Kralkhud and
Shaheedgunj in uptown, police said.
Restrictions on movement of people have also been
imposed in Ganderbal and Budgam districts.
Police said the decision to impose curfew and
restrictions was taken to maintain law and order after the
situation turned tense following the killing of 25-year-old
Fayaz Ahmad Khanday in alleged firing by security forces in
Baramulla town, 55 kms from here, last evening.
Twelve others were injured in the firing by a joint
party of police and CRPF when a group of youth attacked an
armoured vehicle near the office of Roads and Building
department last evening.
The protesters defied prohibitory orders and tried to
march in a procession towards the office of the deputy
commissioner to press for an inquiry into the death of Class
VII student Faizan Ahmad Buhroo, whose body was fished out
from river Jehlum after he drowned during a clash between
police and protestors.
Additional companies of police and paramilitary forces
have been deployed in Sopore and other areas of the Valley,
Life was also disrupted in the Valley due to the
week-long shutdown called by the hardline faction of Hurriyat
Conference led by jailed leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani on July
17 to protest killing of several youths in the past one
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof