Curfew in Srinagar to prevent Muharram procession
Srinagar: Several parts of Srinagar were placed under curfew Friday to prevent the main procession from being taken out on Muharram.
"Curfew has been imposed in seven police station areas of Srinagar city to maintain law and order today (Friday)," a senior police officer said.
The main Muharram procession, which is scheduled to be taken out by thousands of Shia Muslims, has not been allowed by the authorities ever since the present armed violence began here in the early 1990s.
Shia Muslims across the world carry out Muharram processions on the 10th day of the Muslim month of Muharram to commemorate the martyrdom of Imam Hussain, the grandson of the Prophet of Islam.
Meanwhile, moderate Hurriyat leader Mirwaiz Umer Farooq was taken into custody by the police late Thursday from the Old City Rajouri Kadal headquarters of the separatist Awami Action Committee (AAC).
"The Mirwaiz was later dropped at his Nigeen residence," sources in the AAC told.
On Thursday evening, activists of Mirwaiz`s group had staged a torchlight protest in the Old City area against the administration`s decision to impose curfew on Muharram.
Markets and other business establishments were closed while private and public transport went off the roads in Srinagar city as police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers manned the streets to enforce curfew.
Srinagar district magistrate had said in his preventive order Thursday evening that only those Muharram processions would be allowed to be taken out Friday for which prior permission had been obtained from the authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next