Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, 26 injured in clashes
Jammu/Srinagar: Curfew was on Sunday lifted after two days in Kashmir Valley where over 26 persons including security personnel were injured in fresh clashes during a strike called by separatists to protest against the firing incident in Ramban district that had left four persons dead.
Minor protests were witnessed in Gool and Sangaldan towns of Ramban district in Jammu region during today`s bandh to press for the arrest of those involved in the July 18 firing incident in Dharam.
"Situation is under control and no report of any untoward incident was received from Jammu region," a police spokesman said.
The bandh came close on the heels of the visit of a team of district officials to review the situation and inquire into the firing incident.
Authorities lifted curfew from all parts of the Valley this morning in view of the improvement in the law and order situation, official sources said.
26 persons injured in clashes at many places in Srinagar while stonepelting incidents were also reported from Barzulla in uptown, Khanyar, Nowhatta, Safakadal, Rajouri kadal, Gojwara and some other areas in the old city.
Police and paramilitary forces used tear gas shells and fired pellet guns to chase away protesters, the sources said.
They said 17 protesters were hurt in police action while eight security personnel also sustained injuries.
Danish Ismail, working as a photojournalist with an international news agency, was hit by a stone on the head while covering one of the protests in the old city. He was rushed to a hospital and later discharged.
Clashes between protesters and law enforcement agencies were also reported in Baramulla and Bandipora districts of north Kashmir, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections