Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, 26 injured in clashes
Jammu/Srinagar: Curfew was on Sunday lifted after two days in Kashmir Valley where over 26 persons including security personnel were injured in fresh clashes during a strike called by separatists to protest against the firing incident in Ramban district that had left four persons dead.
Minor protests were witnessed in Gool and Sangaldan towns of Ramban district in Jammu region during today`s bandh to press for the arrest of those involved in the July 18 firing incident in Dharam.
"Situation is under control and no report of any untoward incident was received from Jammu region," a police spokesman said.
The bandh came close on the heels of the visit of a team of district officials to review the situation and inquire into the firing incident.
Authorities lifted curfew from all parts of the Valley this morning in view of the improvement in the law and order situation, official sources said.
26 persons injured in clashes at many places in Srinagar while stonepelting incidents were also reported from Barzulla in uptown, Khanyar, Nowhatta, Safakadal, Rajouri kadal, Gojwara and some other areas in the old city.
Police and paramilitary forces used tear gas shells and fired pellet guns to chase away protesters, the sources said.
They said 17 protesters were hurt in police action while eight security personnel also sustained injuries.
Danish Ismail, working as a photojournalist with an international news agency, was hit by a stone on the head while covering one of the protests in the old city. He was rushed to a hospital and later discharged.
Clashes between protesters and law enforcement agencies were also reported in Baramulla and Bandipora districts of north Kashmir, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre