Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, 26 injured in clashes
Jammu/Srinagar: Curfew was on Sunday lifted after two days in Kashmir Valley where over 26 persons including security personnel were injured in fresh clashes during a strike called by separatists to protest against the firing incident in Ramban district that had left four persons dead.
Minor protests were witnessed in Gool and Sangaldan towns of Ramban district in Jammu region during today`s bandh to press for the arrest of those involved in the July 18 firing incident in Dharam.
"Situation is under control and no report of any untoward incident was received from Jammu region," a police spokesman said.
The bandh came close on the heels of the visit of a team of district officials to review the situation and inquire into the firing incident.
Authorities lifted curfew from all parts of the Valley this morning in view of the improvement in the law and order situation, official sources said.
26 persons injured in clashes at many places in Srinagar while stonepelting incidents were also reported from Barzulla in uptown, Khanyar, Nowhatta, Safakadal, Rajouri kadal, Gojwara and some other areas in the old city.
Police and paramilitary forces used tear gas shells and fired pellet guns to chase away protesters, the sources said.
They said 17 protesters were hurt in police action while eight security personnel also sustained injuries.
Danish Ismail, working as a photojournalist with an international news agency, was hit by a stone on the head while covering one of the protests in the old city. He was rushed to a hospital and later discharged.
Clashes between protesters and law enforcement agencies were also reported in Baramulla and Bandipora districts of north Kashmir, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow