Curfew-like restrictions in Valley for 2nd consecutive day
Srinagar: Curfew-like restrictions continued for second consecutive day on Monday in most parts of the Kashmir valley to foil separatists` plans to hold protests to observe the death anniversaries of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru and JKLF founder Mohammad Maqbool Bhat.
All the major towns in the valley have been put under security restrictions with heavy deployment of CRPF and police personnel aimed at thwarting any protests, official sources said.
Section 144 CrPC, which bans assembly of four or more persons, has been imposed in several districts, including Srinagar, as a precautionary measure, sources said.
In view of the situation remaining by and large peaceful yesterday, the authorities today relaxed the restrictions on the movement of the people. The siege around Lal Chowk was also lifted this morning.
However, the barricades and concertina wires blocking the exit points of lanes and by lanes in the city remained in place.
Guru was hanged to death and buried inside Tihar jail on this day last year. Separatists have called for a three-day shutdown till February 11, which will mark the death anniversary of JKLF founder Mohammad Maqbool Bhat.
Bhat was hanged and buried inside Tihar Jail 20 years ago.
Authorities have detained several top separatist leaders ahead of the Guru`s death anniversary.
Hardline Hurriyat Conference leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani, who returned to the Valley on Saturday from Delhi, was put under house arrest soon after his arrival here.
Mobile internet services, which were suspended yesterday morning, were restored later in the evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report