Curfew-like situation force many to postpone weddings
Srinagar: Shutdowns and curfew-like restrictions following the destruction of the 200-year-old Dastgeer Sahib shrine in the old city here has forced many families to postpone wedding ceremonies and cancel the traditional `Wazwaan` feast.
At least a dozen families had today issued cancellation notifications of the wedding ceremonies and feasts in local newspapers.
Most of the cancelled wedding parties were scheduled for the next three days.
Kashmir Valley has remained shut for four consecutive days since Monday when the revered shrine, housing centuries old relics, was gutted in a devastating fire.
The fire triggered protests as people clashed with police and paramilitary officers in the old city prompting the government to impose severe restrictions on the civilian movement in Srinagar`s volatile downtown neighbourhoods.
"Due to the prevailing situation, the marriage ceremony which was scheduled on June 29 and 30 is hereby cancelled", a notification in a local newspaper issued by a family living in the city`s uptown Peerbagh area read.
The notifications are reminiscent of 2008 and 2010 when hundreds of wedding ceremonies and feasts were cancelled during the summer protests in the Valley.
The marriage ceremonies in Kashmir are accompanied by an elaborate Wazwaan feast - a mutton cuisine considered an art and has a place of pride in Kashmiri culture.
The continuous shutdown in the Valley, where most of the shops have remained shut for the last four days, has led to non-availability of supplies forcing marriage cancellations.
Guests have also been struggling to travel across the Valley to the host destinations due to shutdown and restrictions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India