Curfew-like situation force many to postpone weddings
Srinagar: Shutdowns and curfew-like restrictions following the destruction of the 200-year-old Dastgeer Sahib shrine in the old city here has forced many families to postpone wedding ceremonies and cancel the traditional `Wazwaan` feast.
At least a dozen families had today issued cancellation notifications of the wedding ceremonies and feasts in local newspapers.
Most of the cancelled wedding parties were scheduled for the next three days.
Kashmir Valley has remained shut for four consecutive days since Monday when the revered shrine, housing centuries old relics, was gutted in a devastating fire.
The fire triggered protests as people clashed with police and paramilitary officers in the old city prompting the government to impose severe restrictions on the civilian movement in Srinagar`s volatile downtown neighbourhoods.
"Due to the prevailing situation, the marriage ceremony which was scheduled on June 29 and 30 is hereby cancelled", a notification in a local newspaper issued by a family living in the city`s uptown Peerbagh area read.
The notifications are reminiscent of 2008 and 2010 when hundreds of wedding ceremonies and feasts were cancelled during the summer protests in the Valley.
The marriage ceremonies in Kashmir are accompanied by an elaborate Wazwaan feast - a mutton cuisine considered an art and has a place of pride in Kashmiri culture.
The continuous shutdown in the Valley, where most of the shops have remained shut for the last four days, has led to non-availability of supplies forcing marriage cancellations.
Guests have also been struggling to travel across the Valley to the host destinations due to shutdown and restrictions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan