Curfew on in Kashmir, Srinagar tense
Srinagar: Curfew continued for a second day in Jammu and Kashmir`s Bandipora district Sunday following protests after police firing killed a young man, an official said.
The authorities have also imposed restrictions in the old city areas of Srinagar, the summer capital of the state and the urban hub of the separatist campaign.
A police officer told IANS that curfew would continue in Bandipora town, Hajin, Naidkhai, Sumbal and other parts of the district.
Restrictions on pedestrian and vehicular movement were clamped in parts of Srinagar where police and the Central Reserve Police Force were deployed in riot gear.
On Friday, a youth, Farhat Ahmad Dar, was killed in Naidkhai area of Bandipora district in police firing.
A magisterial probe has been ordered into the killing.
Separatist leaders, including Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik, called for a shutdown in the Kashmir Valley Sunday to denounce the youth`s killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know what causes balding in men!
- Exclusive: Osama Bin Laden's compound in Abbottabad is at centre of row — Know the controversy
- UK police say almost 6,200 hate crimes in month after Brexit vote
- Bodies of 14 executed in Libya's Benghazi found: Medical Centre
- MUST WATCH: When Virat Kohli toyed with Aussie attack