Curfew relaxed for brief period in Kishtwar
Kishtwar: After eight days, curfew was on Saturday relaxed for one-and-a-half hours in selected areas of communal violence-hit Kishtwar district in Jammu region in view of improvement in situation.
"Curfew in selected areas of Kishtwar town has been relaxed for an hour and a half from 1 PM today," District Magistrate, Kishtwar, Baseer Khan said.
"There was no report of any untoward incident from anywhere in the district in the past 24 hours. The situation is limping back to normal and in view of this improvement, we have decided to relax the curfew," Khan said.
Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami yesterday reviewed overall security situation at the IB alongwith senior officers of Jammu frontier and representatives from the MHA.
Curfew was imposed in Kishtwar on August 9 after communal clashes in which three persons were killed and over 20 were injured.
On August 10, authorities imposed curfew in Jammu and Rajouri after incidents of violence. The following day it was imposed in Reasi, Udhampur, Samba, parts of Doda and Kathua.
Curfew was lifted from seven districts on August 15 after situation there improved. A total of 141 people so far have been taken into custody in connection with violence in Kishtwar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post