This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Curfew relaxed in Valley, stone pelting in Pulwama

Last Updated: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 21:53

Srinagar: Curfew was relaxed for a few
hours for the third consecutive day on Thursday in most parts of the
Valley which remained largely peaceful during the period
barring incidents of stone pelting in Pulwama town.

Curfew was relaxed in almost all parts of the Valley in a
phased manner for the third day in a row today and the law and
order situation by and large remained peaceful, a police
spokesman said.
However, protesters hurled stones at the security forces
in Pulwama, prompting authorities to reimpose curfew in the
south Kashmir town.

As soon as curfew was relaxed, markets in Srinagar and
other major towns opened. While public transport remained off
the roads, private vehicles were seen plying in large numbers,
causing traffic jams at some busy intersections in the city.

Authorities relaxed curfew restrictions in Kakapora,
Lethpora, Tral and Awantipora towns in south Kashmir`s Pulwama
district from 1.00 pm to 4.00 pm, while in north eastern
Ganderbal and Kangan towns, it was relaxed from 1.00 to 3.00
pm, the spokesman said.

He said restrictions were also eased in East, West and
South zones of Srinagar city for an indefinite period from
3.00 pm onwards, while in North and Hazratbal areas of the
city, curfew was relaxed from 5.00 pm onwards.
In Anantnag and Bijbehara towns, curfew was relaxed
from 3.00 to 7.00 pm, and in Kralpora and Kupwara towns from
2.00 to 6.00 pm, the spokesman said.

In central Kashmir Budgam district, curfew was relaxed
in Shiekhpra amd Ompora from 4.00 pm to 7.00 pm and in
Hydepora, PirBagh and Humhama from 3.00 pm to 7.00 pm.

Curfew was also relaxed in Shopian town from 4.00 pm
onwards, he added.

The spokesman said, curfew was, however, re-imposed in
Pulwama town after incidents of stone pelting.

Earlier, curfew was imposed across Kashmir valley in
the wee hours today even as the separatists called for a break
in their agitational programme.

Hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani had
yesterday modified his protest schedule to exempt today and
tomorrow from the agitation alleging that the Government was
causing hardship to people by imposing indefinite curfew.

Curfew was relaxed in a phased manner across the Valley
yesterday and the day before.

"The curfew in almost all the areas of the Valley has
been relaxed in a phased manner. The Government is aware of
the problems of the people and necessary steps are being taken
to ease the problems," official sources said.
Curfew restrictions continued to remain in force for
the 12th consecutive day in all the major towns of Kashmir
Valley, including the entire Srinagar city.

Curfew was imposed in Srinagar city on September 12
and was extended to the entire Kashmir Valley next day
following widespread violence.

Kashmir Valley has been in grip of violent protests
since June 11 when a 17-year-old boy was killed after he was
hit by a tear smoke shell during clashes at Rajouri Kadal in
interior city.


First Published: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 21:53

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus