Curfew relaxed, old city peaceful, separatist’s stage rally in J&K
Srinagar: Authorities on Tuesday relaxed curfew, clamped on parts of Srinagar following sectarian clashes, for two hours even as moderate separatist leaders staged a rally in violence-hit areas urging people to maintain peace.
"Curfew has been relaxed for two hours from 4.00 pm to 6.00 pm. The relaxation-period passed off peacefully. Senior officers are monitoring the situation," a police spokesman said.
Areas under Zadibal and Nowhatta police stations and Urdu Bazaar police post are under curfew for the past seven days following sectarian clashes last Wednesday in the old city.
Though curfew was lifted on Saturday, it was reimposed in the wake of fresh clashes.
Separatist leaders, affiliated to the moderate faction of Hurriyat Conferece, staged a peace and unity rally from Rajouri Kadal to Zadibal during the relaxation-period.
They urged the people to maintain peace, amity and brotherhood and defeat divisive forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi