Curfew remains in force in Shopian
Srinagar: Shopian district continued to remain under the curfew for the fourth consecutive day on Sunday, while restrictions were imposed in other major towns of south Kashmir, following clashes after the killing of five persons in CRPF firing since September 7.
"Shopian continues to be under curfew. Restrictions have also been imposed in the townships of Kulgam, Pulwama and Kakapora," a police spokesman said.
He said the restrictions were imposed as a preventive measure to maintain law and order and prevent loss of life and property after clashes took place between protesters and security forces in these townships yesterday.
Five persons have been killed in Shopian since last week. While four persons were killed in CRPF firing on September 7, another youth was killed in the firing by the paramilitary troopers on protesters outside Gagran camp, while 13 others suffered pellet injuries, on September 11.
The protesters were demanding removal of the camp and arrest of the personnel involved in firing incident of September 7.
Following the killing, curfew was re-imposed in Shopian township on Thursday and it continued for the fourth day today.
Meanwhile, normal life continued to remain disrupted across Kashmir valley for the second consecutive day today due to a strike called by hardline Hurriyat Conference led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani to protest the killings.
Most of the shops, business establishments and petrol pumps remained closed in Srinagar city and other major towns across the valley.
Public transport was off the roads, while private cars and auto-rickshaws were seen plying.
Police and paramilitary CRPF personnel have been deployed in strength in sensitive areas of the city as well as in major towns in the valley as a precautionary measure, officials said.
Geelani on Thursday called for a two-day shutdown for Saturday and Sunday to protest the killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees