Custodial death: Magistrate demands public witness
Jammu: The Magistrate probing the custodial
death of an undertrial at the Joint Interrogation Centre here
on Wednesday called upon the general public to appear before the
one-man inquiry panel to share any information or proof
connected with the incident.
"Public in general and all concerned in particular are
hereby informed through the medium of this notice that in case
anyone knows anything about the case or has any information
and material relevant with the said case, he or she can attend
our office with relevant details," Executive Magistrate S
Charandeep Singh, who constitutes the one-man magisterial
probe panel, said today.
The notice issued today by Singh said that undertrial
Sarfu Ram of Khour Camp in Akhnoor tehsil was arrested and
remanded to the Joint Interrogation Centre (JIC) of CID wing
of police here for custodial interrogation in connection with
The notice said that it was further reported by
Superintendent of Police, Counter Intelligence, CID, that on
August 18 at around 6 AM it was found that Sarfu Ram had
committed suicide by hanging himself with his trouser in the
police lockup in the JIC.
The family alleged that he was murdered as he had named
some police officers linked to trans-border smuggling in which
he was involved. However, police said that he had committed
In the custodial death case of Sarfu Ram, an independent
Magisterial enquiry has been ordered by the District
Magistrate here soon after the report of his custodial death.
The post mortem report of the deceased has not been
received yet and is awaited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’