Custodial death sparks protests in Ramnagar
Jammu: Protests broke out in Ramnagar town of Udhampur district on Monday over the alleged suicide by a man at a police station where he was being detained in connection with his wife`s death under mysterious circumstances.
Over 300-400 people gathered outside Ramnagar police station to protest against the custodial death of Subash Chander.
Raising slogans against police, they questioned why the deceased had been detained for 13 days.
Protesters, who also disrupted traffic in the town, were later pacified by senior police officials who promised a probe into the matter.
Speaking to reporters, Udhampur SP Anil Magotra said that police had written to the district magistrate seeking a magisterial probe into the custodial death.
Magotra said that those responsible for negligence of duty would be punished.
Chander was found hanging inside the lock-up of the police station at Ramnagar at around 6 A.M. on Monday.
He had torn off a piece of cloth from a blanket and hanged himself using the same, police said.
Chander had been detained for questioning following the mysterious death of his wife Sarita on July 22 after she allegedly consumed poison, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources