Custodial death sparks protests in Ramnagar
Jammu: Protests broke out in Ramnagar town of Udhampur district on Monday over the alleged suicide by a man at a police station where he was being detained in connection with his wife`s death under mysterious circumstances.
Over 300-400 people gathered outside Ramnagar police station to protest against the custodial death of Subash Chander.
Raising slogans against police, they questioned why the deceased had been detained for 13 days.
Protesters, who also disrupted traffic in the town, were later pacified by senior police officials who promised a probe into the matter.
Speaking to reporters, Udhampur SP Anil Magotra said that police had written to the district magistrate seeking a magisterial probe into the custodial death.
Magotra said that those responsible for negligence of duty would be punished.
Chander was found hanging inside the lock-up of the police station at Ramnagar at around 6 A.M. on Monday.
He had torn off a piece of cloth from a blanket and hanged himself using the same, police said.
Chander had been detained for questioning following the mysterious death of his wife Sarita on July 22 after she allegedly consumed poison, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy?
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy? - Part II
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Swachh Bharat, Skill India 'transformative' schemes: President Pranab Mukherjee
- Restless Leg Syndrome: Treat the disorder with this amazingly simple trick! - Watch video
- Boris Johnson claims India owes UK multi-million pounds
- Trump's NATO comments show 'lack of preparedness': Obama
- Govt should resist urge of control everything: Arun Jaitley