Custodial death sparks protests in Ramnagar
Jammu: Protests broke out in Ramnagar town of Udhampur district on Monday over the alleged suicide by a man at a police station where he was being detained in connection with his wife`s death under mysterious circumstances.
Over 300-400 people gathered outside Ramnagar police station to protest against the custodial death of Subash Chander.
Raising slogans against police, they questioned why the deceased had been detained for 13 days.
Protesters, who also disrupted traffic in the town, were later pacified by senior police officials who promised a probe into the matter.
Speaking to reporters, Udhampur SP Anil Magotra said that police had written to the district magistrate seeking a magisterial probe into the custodial death.
Magotra said that those responsible for negligence of duty would be punished.
Chander was found hanging inside the lock-up of the police station at Ramnagar at around 6 A.M. on Monday.
He had torn off a piece of cloth from a blanket and hanged himself using the same, police said.
Chander had been detained for questioning following the mysterious death of his wife Sarita on July 22 after she allegedly consumed poison, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- CBI likely to grill ex-Haryana CM Hooda in HUDA land scam
- High alert across LoC after terror attacks in Srinagar, manhunt on for Hizb-ul-Mujahideen militants
- ISRO's RLV-TD launch: Why it matters to India!
- Meet Priyanka Chopra's 'woman crush'! You will love her for sure
- Watch – 'Hillary Clinton lying for 13 minutes straight'