Dal lake partially frozen; Kashmir records season`s lowest
Srinagar: Parts of world famous Dal Lake
here were frozen Monday as the city witnessed the coldest night of the season with the mercury plunging to 6.6 degrees Celsius
below the freezing point.
Dal Lake and many other water bodies in the Valley
were partially frozen due to intense cold wave conditions over
the past three weeks, official sources said.
The lake was completely frozen twice in the last 50
years -- in 1986 and 1964. The coldest temperature ever
recorded in Kashmir was minus 14.4 deg C on January 31, 1893.
The minimum temperature recorded in the city today was
the coldest of this winter, breaking the record of minus 6.2
deg C on December 21, a MeT official said.
Power department is mulling further cuts in
electricity supply to Valley residents for narrowing the
Other parts of Kashmir also dip in mercury by few
Pahalgam in south Kashmir and Gulmarg in north Kashmir
recorded a minimum temperature of minus 7 deg C, followed by
Qazigund (minus 6.5 deg C) and Kupwara (minus 5.4 deg C).
Cold wave in Ladakh region also intensified with night
temperature in Leh falling to minus 15.2 deg C and Kargil
recording minus 11.0 deg C.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muttiah Muralitharan: Sri Lanka cricket files complaint against former off-spinner for insulting team manager
- SC allows Mumbai rape survivor to terminate 24-week-old abnormal foetus
- Rs 2,237-crore revenue generated from 74 coal mines: Govt
- 'Indian digital payments market to reach $500 bn by 2020'
- Renault launches Lodgy variant priced up to Rs 10.4 lakh