Darbar move: J&K govt offices open in Srinagar today
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir government Monday started functioning from here after shifting from winter capital Jammu as part of pre-independence biannual Darbar Move practice.
Raj Bhavan, Civil Secretariat and other offices, which had closed in Jammu on April 25, opened here as per the darbar move, a century-old practice under which government functions six month each in the two capitals.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah inspected the traditional guard of honour inside the Civil Secretariat premises to mark the opening of the offices, officials said.
However, this time there was no customary interaction of the chief minister with the journalists due to model code of conduct for the Lok Sabha elections being in force.
The media persons were not allowed to enter the Civil Secretariat premises.
The government will function in the summer capital till late October and then move to Jammu, the winter capital of the state, in the first week of November.
Authorities have made all necessary arrangements including security to ensure smooth functioning of the offices in the Kashmir Valley, which witnessed a spurt in militant activities including killing of political workers during the ongoing Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly