Day curfew lifted from Poonch, continues in Mendhar
Jammu: Day curfew has been lifted from
border town of Poonch while it continued in violence-hit
Mendhar town for the sixth day on Monday.
Curfew was clamped in both the places last week after
violent protests over alleged burning of a holy book in the
"Curfew for the day has been lifted from border town
of Poonch but night curfew will continue. However, curfew
continues in Mendhar town," District Development Commissioner
(DDC), Poonch, Kuldeep Khajuria said.
"The law and order situation is peaceful. Adequate
security has been deployed in the sensitive areas of the
district," he said.
Curfew was imposed in Mendhar town after three
persons were killed in police firing to quell a mob trying to
set ablaze a missionary school.
In Poonch, curfew was imposed after arson and violent
protests against the burning of a holy book in the US.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah reviewed the security
situation in Mendhar and Poonch areas at a high level security
meeting in Rajouri yesterday.
Jammu and Kashmir government has ordered a high-level
probe and booked a Sub-Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) along
with five security men in connection with the firing.
He appealed to the people of the twin districts to
maintain calm and foil the designs of anti-social and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach