Day curfew lifted from Poonch, continues in Mendhar
Jammu: Day curfew has been lifted from
border town of Poonch while it continued in violence-hit
Mendhar town for the sixth day on Monday.
Curfew was clamped in both the places last week after
violent protests over alleged burning of a holy book in the
"Curfew for the day has been lifted from border town
of Poonch but night curfew will continue. However, curfew
continues in Mendhar town," District Development Commissioner
(DDC), Poonch, Kuldeep Khajuria said.
"The law and order situation is peaceful. Adequate
security has been deployed in the sensitive areas of the
district," he said.
Curfew was imposed in Mendhar town after three
persons were killed in police firing to quell a mob trying to
set ablaze a missionary school.
In Poonch, curfew was imposed after arson and violent
protests against the burning of a holy book in the US.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah reviewed the security
situation in Mendhar and Poonch areas at a high level security
meeting in Rajouri yesterday.
Jammu and Kashmir government has ordered a high-level
probe and booked a Sub-Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) along
with five security men in connection with the firing.
He appealed to the people of the twin districts to
maintain calm and foil the designs of anti-social and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you