Decks cleared for block councils, district panchay
Srinagar: Decks have been cleared to put in place block councils and district panchayat councils in Jammu and Kashmir as part of the state government`s commitment to put in place a powerful three-tier Panchayat Raj system, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said.
"A powerful 3-tier Panchayat Raj system is my government`s commitment and all decks have been cleared to put in place block councils and district panchayat councils so that Panchayat Raj gets fully established at all levels," Omar said interacting with a deputation of Sarpanches and Panches from Mendhar here sunday.
Omar reiterated his endeavour to make panchayats and urban local bodies run the affairs of local self government in the state in accordance with the aspirations of the people.
"Involvement of grass root level public representatives in the governance and implementation of development schemes has attained global significance and revival of Panchayat Raj in the State after the long period of over 30 years is a historic step of his government," the Chief Minister said.
He said panchayat members should exercise the powers entrusted to them and get completely involved in the development process in their respective areas.
Omar said capacity building programmes for sarpanches and panches is already going on and panchayat members are receiving training to get acquainted with the exercise of powers entrusted to them.
The Chief Minister asked the sarpanches and panches to rise to the expectations of the people and face the challenges with courage and determination.
"Your mission is development of common people and this cause is a pious cause. You should stand firm on ground and fulfil the commitment made to people," he said adding his government would ensure all help to panchayat members in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire