Decks cleared for block councils, district panchay
Srinagar: Decks have been cleared to put in place block councils and district panchayat councils in Jammu and Kashmir as part of the state government`s commitment to put in place a powerful three-tier Panchayat Raj system, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said.
"A powerful 3-tier Panchayat Raj system is my government`s commitment and all decks have been cleared to put in place block councils and district panchayat councils so that Panchayat Raj gets fully established at all levels," Omar said interacting with a deputation of Sarpanches and Panches from Mendhar here sunday.
Omar reiterated his endeavour to make panchayats and urban local bodies run the affairs of local self government in the state in accordance with the aspirations of the people.
"Involvement of grass root level public representatives in the governance and implementation of development schemes has attained global significance and revival of Panchayat Raj in the State after the long period of over 30 years is a historic step of his government," the Chief Minister said.
He said panchayat members should exercise the powers entrusted to them and get completely involved in the development process in their respective areas.
Omar said capacity building programmes for sarpanches and panches is already going on and panchayat members are receiving training to get acquainted with the exercise of powers entrusted to them.
The Chief Minister asked the sarpanches and panches to rise to the expectations of the people and face the challenges with courage and determination.
"Your mission is development of common people and this cause is a pious cause. You should stand firm on ground and fulfil the commitment made to people," he said adding his government would ensure all help to panchayat members in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city