Decks cleared for block councils, district panchay
Srinagar: Decks have been cleared to put in place block councils and district panchayat councils in Jammu and Kashmir as part of the state government`s commitment to put in place a powerful three-tier Panchayat Raj system, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said.
"A powerful 3-tier Panchayat Raj system is my government`s commitment and all decks have been cleared to put in place block councils and district panchayat councils so that Panchayat Raj gets fully established at all levels," Omar said interacting with a deputation of Sarpanches and Panches from Mendhar here sunday.
Omar reiterated his endeavour to make panchayats and urban local bodies run the affairs of local self government in the state in accordance with the aspirations of the people.
"Involvement of grass root level public representatives in the governance and implementation of development schemes has attained global significance and revival of Panchayat Raj in the State after the long period of over 30 years is a historic step of his government," the Chief Minister said.
He said panchayat members should exercise the powers entrusted to them and get completely involved in the development process in their respective areas.
Omar said capacity building programmes for sarpanches and panches is already going on and panchayat members are receiving training to get acquainted with the exercise of powers entrusted to them.
The Chief Minister asked the sarpanches and panches to rise to the expectations of the people and face the challenges with courage and determination.
"Your mission is development of common people and this cause is a pious cause. You should stand firm on ground and fulfil the commitment made to people," he said adding his government would ensure all help to panchayat members in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Saina Nehwal drops four places to be no.9, status quo for PV Sindhu
- Mauritius to remain major FDI source till March 2019: Experts
- Abhinav Bindra to head NRAI review committee on Rio debacle
- Now, WhatsApp to share your phone number with Facebook
- SHOCKING: Man performing stunt on high tension wire at Mumbai's Mira road station – Watch