Decks cleared for block councils, district panchay
Srinagar: Decks have been cleared to put in place block councils and district panchayat councils in Jammu and Kashmir as part of the state government`s commitment to put in place a powerful three-tier Panchayat Raj system, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said.
"A powerful 3-tier Panchayat Raj system is my government`s commitment and all decks have been cleared to put in place block councils and district panchayat councils so that Panchayat Raj gets fully established at all levels," Omar said interacting with a deputation of Sarpanches and Panches from Mendhar here sunday.
Omar reiterated his endeavour to make panchayats and urban local bodies run the affairs of local self government in the state in accordance with the aspirations of the people.
"Involvement of grass root level public representatives in the governance and implementation of development schemes has attained global significance and revival of Panchayat Raj in the State after the long period of over 30 years is a historic step of his government," the Chief Minister said.
He said panchayat members should exercise the powers entrusted to them and get completely involved in the development process in their respective areas.
Omar said capacity building programmes for sarpanches and panches is already going on and panchayat members are receiving training to get acquainted with the exercise of powers entrusted to them.
The Chief Minister asked the sarpanches and panches to rise to the expectations of the people and face the challenges with courage and determination.
"Your mission is development of common people and this cause is a pious cause. You should stand firm on ground and fulfil the commitment made to people," he said adding his government would ensure all help to panchayat members in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP