Def Min gives nod for night flights at Srinagar
Srinagar: Defence Ministry has given clearance for operation of civilian flights at the airport here till 10 PM daily, paving way for extended air operations between Kashmir and rest of the country.
In a letter to Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh last week, Defence Minister A K Antony had said, "Air HQ (headquarters) has already issued instructions to extend watch hours for civil flights at Srinagar...Till 2200 hours on daily basis".
Ramesh had written to Antony on June 24 seeking clearance of Defence Ministry for facilitating night landing and take-off from Srinagar airport.
Referring to his visit to Budgam district of Kashmir along with AICC Vice President Rahul Gandhi on June 15, Ramesh had said in the letter, "One of the important issues brought to Gandhi`s attention relates to night landing and take-off facilities at Srinagar International Airport.
"Businessmen and tour operators were of the view that it would be very desirable to have flights arrive and take off late evenings and at night, which at present is not allowed because of security considerations," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi