Delhi baby rescued from J&K
New Delhi: A man and his live-in partner have been arrested from Udhampur in Jammu and Kashmir for allegedly kidnapping a one-year-old baby girl from here four days ago, police said on Sunday.
Shyamlal alias Mahender, 25 and Babita, 35, both hailing from village Bhatiwadi Garh in Udhampur and presently living at Jagatpur extension in North Delhi as husband and wife, were arrested from Jammu railway station, a senior police official said.
The girl`s father, on January 8, had complained that his immediate neighbour Mahender`s wife Babita had taken away his daughter on the pretext of buying medicines and to purchase some clothes for the baby but had not returned.
During investigations, police managed to trace Babita`s mobile which was in Jammu. Immediately, a police team rushed to Jammu and arrested the couple and recovered the toddler.
During interrogation, the accused said that they were in a live-in relationship for past few years. Babita has five children from her previous wedlock, but left her family in Udhampur after she came in contact with Mahender.
They came to Delhi three years ago and started living as husband and wife. But they didn`t had any issue. The toddler`s family were their immediate neighbourhood and had good relations.
"As per their plan, Mahender went to Jammu and arranged a rented accommodation and came to back Delhi on January 8. He didn`t came to Jagatpur and called Babita and then fled to Jammu," said Sindhu Pillai, DCP North district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump calls Hillary Clinton 'world-class liar' as war of words intensifies
- United Nations criticizes repression in Bahrain, urges dialogue
- North Korea leader Kim Jong-Un says missile test a success, threat to US
- Brexit: UK goes to polls in knife-edge EU referendum; over 46 million people to decide Britain's fate
- 'US will continue to expand defense systems to protect South Korea, regional allies from North Korean missiles'