Demonstration foiled at Lal Chowk in Srinagar
Srinagar: Scores of people, residing in Shopian, Monday attempted to stage a demonstration in Lal Chowk area claiming that the CBI had not carried out a thorough probe into the death of two women in the tinsel district of south Kashmir.
Shakeel Ahangar, husband of Neelofar, along with his mother was taken into preventive detention by the police this morning when they reached Lal Chowk.
22-year-old Neelofar and her sister-in-law Assiya, 17, were found dead in a stream in Shopian on May 30 last year prompting a massive 47-day-long strike in the district.
The family had been claiming that the two women were raped before being murdered, a claim which was proved otherwise after a CBI enquiry.
The CBI had concluded that the two women had drowned and that Aasiya was a virgin, a finding which came as a blow to the Majlis-e-Mushawarat, a local amalgam of organisation which spearheaded a strike.
The CBI also filed a chargesheet against the doctors and lawyers for allegedly fabricating evidence and threatening the witnesses besides, destroying the evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- ‘Kabali’ mania grips nation: Here’s why Rajinikanth is the one and only Thalaiva
- 1st Test, Day 1: Virat Kohli's brilliant ton puts India on top against West Indies
- Donald Trump accepts Republican nomination, accuses Hillary Clinton of legacy of "death, destruction, terrorism”
- Former Portugal prime minister Guterres front runner to be next UN chief
- Asian markets sink as stimulus hopes rolled back