Demonstration foiled at Lal Chowk in Srinagar
Srinagar: Scores of people, residing in Shopian, Monday attempted to stage a demonstration in Lal Chowk area claiming that the CBI had not carried out a thorough probe into the death of two women in the tinsel district of south Kashmir.
Shakeel Ahangar, husband of Neelofar, along with his mother was taken into preventive detention by the police this morning when they reached Lal Chowk.
22-year-old Neelofar and her sister-in-law Assiya, 17, were found dead in a stream in Shopian on May 30 last year prompting a massive 47-day-long strike in the district.
The family had been claiming that the two women were raped before being murdered, a claim which was proved otherwise after a CBI enquiry.
The CBI had concluded that the two women had drowned and that Aasiya was a virgin, a finding which came as a blow to the Majlis-e-Mushawarat, a local amalgam of organisation which spearheaded a strike.
The CBI also filed a chargesheet against the doctors and lawyers for allegedly fabricating evidence and threatening the witnesses besides, destroying the evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof