Demonstration foiled at Lal Chowk in Srinagar
Srinagar: Scores of people, residing in Shopian, Monday attempted to stage a demonstration in Lal Chowk area claiming that the CBI had not carried out a thorough probe into the death of two women in the tinsel district of south Kashmir.
Shakeel Ahangar, husband of Neelofar, along with his mother was taken into preventive detention by the police this morning when they reached Lal Chowk.
22-year-old Neelofar and her sister-in-law Assiya, 17, were found dead in a stream in Shopian on May 30 last year prompting a massive 47-day-long strike in the district.
The family had been claiming that the two women were raped before being murdered, a claim which was proved otherwise after a CBI enquiry.
The CBI had concluded that the two women had drowned and that Aasiya was a virgin, a finding which came as a blow to the Majlis-e-Mushawarat, a local amalgam of organisation which spearheaded a strike.
The CBI also filed a chargesheet against the doctors and lawyers for allegedly fabricating evidence and threatening the witnesses besides, destroying the evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter