Deployment of Army in J&K `unwarranted`: CPM
New Delhi: The CPI(M) today termed as
"unwarranted" the government`s decision to deploy the Army in
Jammu and Kashmir and condemned the "indiscriminate" arrests
of people in the valley.
"The decision to use Army in the current situation is not
in sync with the demands of the ground," the party`s J&K unit
secretary Mohammad Yusuf Tarigami said in a statement.
He also asked all political parties in the state not to
indulge in blame-game and contribute to minimise people`s
Tarigami asked the Centre not to handle the situation
"casually" and said "a bold political initiative, including a
serious dialogue with all shades of political opinion in the
state" was an absolute must.
"Government of India must come out of its deep slumber
and realise that the discontentment among the youth of Kashmir
needs to be reasonably analysed and addressed," he said.
Expressing serious concern over the prevailing
situation in Kashmir, he said the Army`s role in the situation
was not only "unwarranted and uncalled for", but was
He also criticised the state government for "curbing"
media coverage and demanded that media persons be allowed to
freely discharge their duties.
He also expressed anguish over shortage of essential
commodities in the curfew-bound and far flung areas of the
valley, including scarcity of medicines and other supplies in
Army troops have been deployed mostly in three places
outsides Srinagar city and engaged only in petrolling on the
streets since yesterday.
Sources said in the recent stone pelting incidents, more
than 500 people, mostly security personnel, were injured in
The fresh spate of clashes between protesters and
security forces that began a few days back has left three
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days