Desecration of mosque sparks protest in Kashmir
Srinagar: Protests on Thursday broke out in Handwara town of north Kashmir`s Kupwara district following alleged desecration of a mosque there, official sources said.
Residents of Palpora village in Handwara area, 90 kms from here, took to the streets after devotees found faecal matter inside the mosque premises, the sources said.
The protestors blocked the Sopore-Kupwara road demanding arrest of the culprits.
Senior civil and police officials of the area rushed to the spot to defuse the situation but the blockade of the road continued till reports last came in.
Police have taken cognizance of the incident and are investigating to track down the accused, a police spokesman said.
Senior police officers of the district are monitoring the situation on the spot, he said.
A case has been registered in police station Kralgund in this regard, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Know why PM Narendra Modi is asking for your support for particular task - WATCH
- Nepali Congress halts House over ''budget leak''
- Here's what Yuvraj Singh said after his long wait for IPL trophy ended
- Meet 'Haryana ki Sherni' Anushka Sharma from 'Sultan'! See LATEST pic
- Anxious mother fox waits while men work to rescue her trapped cub– Watch the emotional moment!