Desecration of mosque sparks protest in Kashmir
Srinagar: Protests on Thursday broke out in Handwara town of north Kashmir`s Kupwara district following alleged desecration of a mosque there, official sources said.
Residents of Palpora village in Handwara area, 90 kms from here, took to the streets after devotees found faecal matter inside the mosque premises, the sources said.
The protestors blocked the Sopore-Kupwara road demanding arrest of the culprits.
Senior civil and police officials of the area rushed to the spot to defuse the situation but the blockade of the road continued till reports last came in.
Police have taken cognizance of the incident and are investigating to track down the accused, a police spokesman said.
Senior police officers of the district are monitoring the situation on the spot, he said.
A case has been registered in police station Kralgund in this regard, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets