Dip in grenade attacks in J&K this year
Jammu: It was a summer of discontent in the Valley, yet Jammu and Kashmir witnessed a dip in grenade attacks and explosions this year against last year.
A state Home department report said five persons died in grenade explosions and 40 others were injured in such incidents this year, as compared to 18 civilian deaths and
injuries to 99 people last year.
Against 79 grenade blasts and explosions in 2009, there were 59 such incidents this year till the end of November, as per the recent report prepared by the department keeping track of the incidents till November 2010.
"There was a fall in the grenade attacks and explosions this year and besides deaths of civilians due to these attacks also decreased as compared to last year," a senior Police
officer told a news agency.
While incidents of hurling grenades have fallen from 56 to 33 from 2009 to 2010, IED explosions have also shown a dip from 26 to 23.
There were 11925 grenade attacks and explosions during the past 20 years, it said, adding that for the same period there were 6221 incidents and 5704 IED explosions were
reported during the period, since January 1990.
Giving further breakup, it said that 1994 witnessed 821 grenade attacks while in 1990, 1280 explosions were reported.
In 2008, 29 people were killed and 190 injured in 107 grenade explosions and IED blasts in Jammu and Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read