Dismal conviction rate in cases of rape, molestation in J&K
Srinagar: More than two rape or molestation cases have been reported in Jammu and Kashmir per day over the last 24 years but the conviction rate in these cases during the period has been a dismal 3.26 per cent.
In a written reply to the Assembly, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who is in-charge minister for Home Affairs, said 5,125 rape cases and 14,953 molestation cases have been registered in the state over the last 24 years.
According to official data, 2,601 rape cases have been registered in Kashmir and 2,524 in Jammu province between 1989 and 2003.
In the same period, 12,215 cases of molestation were registered in Kashmir and 2,738 in Jammu.
Giving details of disposal of rape cases, the government said the accused were convicted in only 579 of the 17,736 rape and molestation cases which were challenged before the courts.
The conviction rate was as many as 1,446 cases of rape (664) and molestation (782) were not admitted while 180 cases, including 65 rape cases, remained untraced.
The security forces personnel are accused in 70 rape cases (41 in Kashmir and 29 in Jammu) and 55 cases of molestations (44 in Kashmir and 11 in Jammu).
The state police personnel are accused in 59 rape cases (15 in Kashmir and 44 in Jammu) and 34 molestation cases (12 in Kashmir and 22 in Jammu).
There are seven rape cases registered against militants while three ultras are accused of molestation.
The surrendered are accused in three rape cases but have no molestation case registered against them.
The government said the High Court has designated various courts of Additional District Judges as Special courts for trying offenses relating to women to ensure speedy justice to victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert