Dismal conviction rate in cases of rape, molestation in J&K
Srinagar: More than two rape or molestation cases have been reported in Jammu and Kashmir per day over the last 24 years but the conviction rate in these cases during the period has been a dismal 3.26 per cent.
In a written reply to the Assembly, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who is in-charge minister for Home Affairs, said 5,125 rape cases and 14,953 molestation cases have been registered in the state over the last 24 years.
According to official data, 2,601 rape cases have been registered in Kashmir and 2,524 in Jammu province between 1989 and 2003.
In the same period, 12,215 cases of molestation were registered in Kashmir and 2,738 in Jammu.
Giving details of disposal of rape cases, the government said the accused were convicted in only 579 of the 17,736 rape and molestation cases which were challenged before the courts.
The conviction rate was as many as 1,446 cases of rape (664) and molestation (782) were not admitted while 180 cases, including 65 rape cases, remained untraced.
The security forces personnel are accused in 70 rape cases (41 in Kashmir and 29 in Jammu) and 55 cases of molestations (44 in Kashmir and 11 in Jammu).
The state police personnel are accused in 59 rape cases (15 in Kashmir and 44 in Jammu) and 34 molestation cases (12 in Kashmir and 22 in Jammu).
There are seven rape cases registered against militants while three ultras are accused of molestation.
The surrendered are accused in three rape cases but have no molestation case registered against them.
The government said the High Court has designated various courts of Additional District Judges as Special courts for trying offenses relating to women to ensure speedy justice to victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing