Docs, health workers demand former J&K min`s arrest, threaten strike
Srinagar: Doctors and health employees in Jammu and Kashmir on Monday threatened to go on a strike if former Health Minister Shabir Ahmad Khan was not arrested within the next 24 hours for his alleged involvement in an sexual assault case.
"It is unfortunate that even after so many days, Khan has not been arrested. We are surprised that police are saying he is hiding," Rashid Para, spokesperson of an amalgam of various doctors` associations and medical employees` confederations, told reporters here.
"If police can identify and arrest a youth from thousands on charges of stone-pelting, how can they say a person who had been a minister is hiding?" he asked.
"We appeal to the government to arrest Khan within 24 hours, otherwise the entire health department of the state would come out on roads and agitate. We would also go on an indefinite strike," Para said.
He said the medical fraternity compliments the government for filing an FIR against the former minister, but he should be arrested immediately to provide justice to the woman.
Waqar Ahmad of the Society of Consultant Doctors said the incident has "shattered" the confidence of women working in the Health Department. "Women working in the department are frightened. The incident has shattered their confidence," he said.
Meanwhile, the lady doctor has filed a complaint against a Member of Parliament, some media houses and journalists for disclosing her identity in contravention to the Supreme Court guidelines.
"I have lodged a complaint with the SDPO of Shaheed Gunj on February 8 requesting him to take appropriate action in accordance with law," the woman said in a statement here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video