Doda quake: BJP slams J&K govt for `callous` approach
Jammu: The BJP on Sunday attacked the Jammu and Kashmir government for its "callous" approach towards relif work in quake-hit Doda belt, alleging that instead of visiting affected areas, CM Omar Abdullah was busy holidaying outside.
"Instead of visiting and consoling the (quake) affected people of the area, Chief Minister opted to enjoy holidays outside the state," party leader Kavinder Gupta said.
An earthquake measuring 5.7 on Richter scale struck Baderwah and adjoining areas of the state on May 1, killing two persons and injuring nearly 70, besides rendering many people homeless.
Fresh tremors of low intensity, 19th in a week, shook Bhaderwah valley and adjoining areas today also.
Gupta, who was on a visit to the affected Bhaderwah area, alleged that both the Centre and the state government are not concerned about the fate of people living here.
"Neither any Central minister, nor anyone from the state cabinet has visited the affected villages so far. Government has failed to provide even tents to the affected families, forcing them to spend nights under open sky in cold," he said.
Seeking a high power multi-disciplinary team to assess the loss, Gupta said the Centre should announce a comprehensive package for rehabilitation of affected people.
He also demanded for inclusion of the region under the National School Safety Project, and insisted on construction of earthquake resistant buildings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog