Don`t see govt as primary job provider: Omar tells J&K youths
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Monday asked the youth of the state not to see the government as the primary job provider and said it was very difficult to manage a "huge establishment" when state`s income was meagre.
"The state government should not be seen as a job provider but (as) service delivering and development giving ... It is very difficult for a state like Jammu and Kashmir to manage a huge establishment when its income sources (are meagre)," he told a workshop here.
He said it was heartening to see that not many youth present at the seminar had chosen a job in the state government as their first preference.
"Just asked a hall full of young Kashmiri boys and girls how many thought a Government job was their first choice and almost no hand went up. Great(!)," he wrote on micro-blogging site Twitter.
Omar said despite financial constraints, the state government is creating job facilities for youth to the "extent possible".
"The total annual income of the state by all means is just Rs 6,500 crore and we have to pay salary to government employees to the tune of Rs 13,500 crore yearly and the losses per annum on electricity supply account for another Rs 2000 crore," he said.
The Chief Minister said new initiatives for skill development have been taken to prepare youth for open job market. Private investors and companies are being roped in and the negative perception in the minds of big business houses regarding investing in the state is being removed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials