Drive against encroachments on temple, Hindu Trust
Srinagar: Authorities here have started a drive against removing encroachments from lands belonging to temples and Hindu Trusts and registered cases against two violators so far, official sources said.
Revenue authorities assisted by a squad of Srinagar Municipal Corporation and police stopped construction work on two plots belonging to a Hindu Temple trust in Barzulla estate last week, they said.
Officials seized the equipment of the workers and sealed the plots to prevent any further construction. They also initiated legal proceedings against the violators.
According to various court rulings and a subsequent government order, sale, lease or encroachment upon lands belonging to temples in Kashmir has been banned.
The Revenue authorities are also mulling demolition of several structures in the area which have come up on such lands since eruption of militancy in 1990, the sources said.
Srinagar Municipal Corporation has launched a drive against illegal constructions in the city. More than two dozen structures have been demolished since the drive was launched late last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy