Drive against encroachments on temple, Hindu Trust
Srinagar: Authorities here have started a drive against removing encroachments from lands belonging to temples and Hindu Trusts and registered cases against two violators so far, official sources said.
Revenue authorities assisted by a squad of Srinagar Municipal Corporation and police stopped construction work on two plots belonging to a Hindu Temple trust in Barzulla estate last week, they said.
Officials seized the equipment of the workers and sealed the plots to prevent any further construction. They also initiated legal proceedings against the violators.
According to various court rulings and a subsequent government order, sale, lease or encroachment upon lands belonging to temples in Kashmir has been banned.
The Revenue authorities are also mulling demolition of several structures in the area which have come up on such lands since eruption of militancy in 1990, the sources said.
Srinagar Municipal Corporation has launched a drive against illegal constructions in the city. More than two dozen structures have been demolished since the drive was launched late last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi