Drugs worth Rs 100 cr found hidden in truck coming from Pak
Srinagar: In the biggest haul in Jammu and Kashmir, police on Friday recovered narcotics worth Rs 100 crore in the street market hidden in a truck, which was coming from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) as part of the cross-LoC trade in Uri sector of the state.
Sources said the challan of the vehicle had mentioned almonds as the goods being imported from PoK.
"We have recovered 114 packets of brown sugar from a truck here (Salamabad trade facilitation centre in Uri) today," said Govind Ratan, Sub-Divisional Police Officer, Uri.
Ratan said the total weight of the seized contraband is around 100 kilogrammes which is worth around Rs 100 crore in the international market.
The challan mentioned M/s Shoukat Habib trading corporation Bandipora as the importer of the goods, the sources said, adding the driver of the vehicle has been detained for questioning.
They said the matter will be taken up with cross-LoC trade officials of PoK. This is the second incident of its type since the beginning of the cross-LoC trade between the divided parts of Kashmir in 2008.
In August last year, police recovered cocaine worth Rs 10 crore from a truck, plying on Srinagar-Muzaffarabad route, at Sheeri in Uri sector.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed