ED attaches Rs 55 lakh terror funds of Kashmiri fugitive
New Delhi: In the first case of freezing of terror funds in the country, the Enforcement Directorate has attached an amount of Rs 55 lakh seized from Nasir Safi Mir, the alleged financial brain behind terror and separatists` groups in Jammu and Kashmir.
Mir, who managed to procure a bail in 2008 on health grounds from Delhi High Court and later fled from Nepal allegedly using a fake passport, was arrested on February three, 2006 from Delhi.
Besides the Rs 55 lakh in cash, arms and ammunition were also seized from Mir at the time of his arrest. He has jumped bail and is on the run for the last six years.
Mir, who was reported closely associated to Hurriyat Conference Chairman Miriwaiz Umer Farooq, was subjected to extensive interrogation by central security agencies during which he is claimed to have spoken about his links with the separatists` groups and banned terror outfit Hizbul Mujahideen.
When contacted, the Mirwaiz said over phone from Srinagar that he knew Mir and his family but he had nothing to do with the case for which he was arrested.
His disappearance from the country had raised eyebrows within the security establishment as it was suspected that some sleuths had come to his aid and managed his escape from the country.
According to the ED attachment order issued recently, the cash whixh is at present in the custody of the Special Cell was "proceeds of crime of terrorist funding and money laundering and hence stands attached."
This is the first major action against terror funding in the country under the stringent provisions of money laundering laws where the onus of proving `not guilty` is on the accused.
The attachment of cash or properties under Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) is aimed to deprive the accused of the benefits of the assets which are earned unlawfully.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you