ED attaches Rs 55 lakh terror funds of Kashmiri fugitive
New Delhi: In the first case of freezing of terror funds in the country, the Enforcement Directorate has attached an amount of Rs 55 lakh seized from Nasir Safi Mir, the alleged financial brain behind terror and separatists` groups in Jammu and Kashmir.
Mir, who managed to procure a bail in 2008 on health grounds from Delhi High Court and later fled from Nepal allegedly using a fake passport, was arrested on February three, 2006 from Delhi.
Besides the Rs 55 lakh in cash, arms and ammunition were also seized from Mir at the time of his arrest. He has jumped bail and is on the run for the last six years.
Mir, who was reported closely associated to Hurriyat Conference Chairman Miriwaiz Umer Farooq, was subjected to extensive interrogation by central security agencies during which he is claimed to have spoken about his links with the separatists` groups and banned terror outfit Hizbul Mujahideen.
When contacted, the Mirwaiz said over phone from Srinagar that he knew Mir and his family but he had nothing to do with the case for which he was arrested.
His disappearance from the country had raised eyebrows within the security establishment as it was suspected that some sleuths had come to his aid and managed his escape from the country.
According to the ED attachment order issued recently, the cash whixh is at present in the custody of the Special Cell was "proceeds of crime of terrorist funding and money laundering and hence stands attached."
This is the first major action against terror funding in the country under the stringent provisions of money laundering laws where the onus of proving `not guilty` is on the accused.
The attachment of cash or properties under Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) is aimed to deprive the accused of the benefits of the assets which are earned unlawfully.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre