ED attaches Rs 55 lakh terror funds of Kashmiri fugitive
New Delhi: In the first case of freezing of terror funds in the country, the Enforcement Directorate has attached an amount of Rs 55 lakh seized from Nasir Safi Mir, the alleged financial brain behind terror and separatists` groups in Jammu and Kashmir.
Mir, who managed to procure a bail in 2008 on health grounds from Delhi High Court and later fled from Nepal allegedly using a fake passport, was arrested on February three, 2006 from Delhi.
Besides the Rs 55 lakh in cash, arms and ammunition were also seized from Mir at the time of his arrest. He has jumped bail and is on the run for the last six years.
Mir, who was reported closely associated to Hurriyat Conference Chairman Miriwaiz Umer Farooq, was subjected to extensive interrogation by central security agencies during which he is claimed to have spoken about his links with the separatists` groups and banned terror outfit Hizbul Mujahideen.
When contacted, the Mirwaiz said over phone from Srinagar that he knew Mir and his family but he had nothing to do with the case for which he was arrested.
His disappearance from the country had raised eyebrows within the security establishment as it was suspected that some sleuths had come to his aid and managed his escape from the country.
According to the ED attachment order issued recently, the cash whixh is at present in the custody of the Special Cell was "proceeds of crime of terrorist funding and money laundering and hence stands attached."
This is the first major action against terror funding in the country under the stringent provisions of money laundering laws where the onus of proving `not guilty` is on the accused.
The attachment of cash or properties under Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) is aimed to deprive the accused of the benefits of the assets which are earned unlawfully.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt