Eid-ul Azha celebrated in Kashmir
Srinagar: Eid-ul Azha, the Muslim festival marking the sacrifice of Prophet Ibrahim, was today celebrated across Kashmir with traditional fervor and gaiety.
Dressed in their best, people thronged mosques, shrines and Eidgahs (prayer grounds) to offer special prayers early in the morning.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah was among the 35,000 people who offered prayers at the Hazratbal Shrine on the banks of Dal Lake here.
The biggest congregation was held at Jamia Masjid in old city where nearly 40,000 people offered prayers.
Similar large congregations were seen in all districts of Kashmir. Thousands of sheep and goats were sacrificed across the Valley after Eid prayers. The meat was then distributed among relatives, neighbours and the destitute. Children were a happy lot as they received Eidi (Eid money) from their elders.
Although the prayers passed off peacefully across the Valley, isolated incidents of stone pelting were reported.
A police driver was killed after he lost control over his bus and hit a pole at Palhalan area of Baramulla district following stone-pelting.
Officials said stone pelting incidents were also reported from Khanyar in the city, Baramulla town, Khanpora Bridge and Sopore town in north Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India