Eid-ul Azha celebrated in Kashmir
Srinagar: Eid-ul Azha, the Muslim festival marking the sacrifice of Prophet Ibrahim, was today celebrated across Kashmir with traditional fervor and gaiety.
Dressed in their best, people thronged mosques, shrines and Eidgahs (prayer grounds) to offer special prayers early in the morning.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah was among the 35,000 people who offered prayers at the Hazratbal Shrine on the banks of Dal Lake here.
The biggest congregation was held at Jamia Masjid in old city where nearly 40,000 people offered prayers.
Similar large congregations were seen in all districts of Kashmir. Thousands of sheep and goats were sacrificed across the Valley after Eid prayers. The meat was then distributed among relatives, neighbours and the destitute. Children were a happy lot as they received Eidi (Eid money) from their elders.
Although the prayers passed off peacefully across the Valley, isolated incidents of stone pelting were reported.
A police driver was killed after he lost control over his bus and hit a pole at Palhalan area of Baramulla district following stone-pelting.
Officials said stone pelting incidents were also reported from Khanyar in the city, Baramulla town, Khanpora Bridge and Sopore town in north Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video