Eight more youths arrested in Baramulla for harassing electorates
Srinagar: Eight more youths, allegedly involved in harassment of those who exercised their franchise defying separatist call for boycott of Lok Sabha elections, were arrested today taking the total number of those arrested to eleven.
The fresh arrests were made from Sopore and Baramulla townships, police said here today.
Many voters from Kupwara district were reportedly thrashed, in Sopore and Baramulla towns on Thursday for defying the separatist call for boycott of the elections, by groups of youths who were scanning the fingers of passersby for the indelible ink marked at the time of voting.
Kupwara, which is part of Baramulla parliamentary constituency, registered a heavy voter turnout during the polling held on May 7.
Following the thrashing of voters, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah warned of stern action against anyone found trying to terrorise voters.
Police made three arrests yesterday after registering cases against the miscreants in Baramulla and Sopore police stations.
"All the miscreants involved in the acts of harassment and assaults have been identified," the police spokesman said reiterating that stringent action is being taken against those involved in these offences and no one involved will be spared.
"Special teams have been constituted and raids are on to arrest other miscreants involved in these acts," the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam