Eight more youths arrested in Baramulla for harassing electorates
Srinagar: Eight more youths, allegedly involved in harassment of those who exercised their franchise defying separatist call for boycott of Lok Sabha elections, were arrested today taking the total number of those arrested to eleven.
The fresh arrests were made from Sopore and Baramulla townships, police said here today.
Many voters from Kupwara district were reportedly thrashed, in Sopore and Baramulla towns on Thursday for defying the separatist call for boycott of the elections, by groups of youths who were scanning the fingers of passersby for the indelible ink marked at the time of voting.
Kupwara, which is part of Baramulla parliamentary constituency, registered a heavy voter turnout during the polling held on May 7.
Following the thrashing of voters, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah warned of stern action against anyone found trying to terrorise voters.
Police made three arrests yesterday after registering cases against the miscreants in Baramulla and Sopore police stations.
"All the miscreants involved in the acts of harassment and assaults have been identified," the police spokesman said reiterating that stringent action is being taken against those involved in these offences and no one involved will be spared.
"Special teams have been constituted and raids are on to arrest other miscreants involved in these acts," the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends