Eight more youths arrested in Baramulla for harassing electorates
Srinagar: Eight more youths, allegedly involved in harassment of those who exercised their franchise defying separatist call for boycott of Lok Sabha elections, were arrested today taking the total number of those arrested to eleven.
The fresh arrests were made from Sopore and Baramulla townships, police said here today.
Many voters from Kupwara district were reportedly thrashed, in Sopore and Baramulla towns on Thursday for defying the separatist call for boycott of the elections, by groups of youths who were scanning the fingers of passersby for the indelible ink marked at the time of voting.
Kupwara, which is part of Baramulla parliamentary constituency, registered a heavy voter turnout during the polling held on May 7.
Following the thrashing of voters, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah warned of stern action against anyone found trying to terrorise voters.
Police made three arrests yesterday after registering cases against the miscreants in Baramulla and Sopore police stations.
"All the miscreants involved in the acts of harassment and assaults have been identified," the police spokesman said reiterating that stringent action is being taken against those involved in these offences and no one involved will be spared.
"Special teams have been constituted and raids are on to arrest other miscreants involved in these acts," the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie