Eight policemen injured in Srinagar gunfight
Srinagar: Eight policemen were injured in the overnight gunfight on Wednesday between a holed up guerrilla and the security forces in outskirts of Srinagar.
A senior police officer said eight policemen including an assistant sub-inspector were injured in the exchange of fire between a guerrilla and the security forces in Ahmad Nagar area, 10 kilometres from city centre Lal Chowk.
"The holed up militant lobbed grenades and fired from an automatic rifle at the police after we zeroed on him in a residential house in Ahmad Nagar and challenged him to surrender," a senior police officer told a news agency.
Police had a tough time ensuring that no civilian in the residential area gets injured because of the exchange of gunfire.
All the civilians from the house in which the guerrilla had taken shelter and adjoining houses were safely evacuated before the operation against the guerrilla was launched, the senior police officer said.
Intermittent firing exchanges continued during the night, but since morning no gunshots were heard in the area.
"We are searching the area right now", the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened