Eighth phase of J&K panchayat poll ends peacefully, 77 pc turnout
Srinagar: The eighth phase of panchayat
polls in Jammu and Kashmir ended peacefully on Thursday with nearly
77 per cent turnout in seven blocks to elect 237 sarpanches
and 1659 panches.
The poll percentage in Trehgam block of Kupwara district
was registered at 82, Rafiabad - 78, B K Pora - 64, Shahabad -
69, Barnoti - 78.59, Akhnoor - 84 and Sunderbani - 77.66 per
cent, an official spokesman said.
He said there was no report of any untoward incident from
any of the blocks.
Panchayat elections are being held 16 phases in the state
after a gap of ten years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!