Eighth phase of panchayat polls underway in J&K
Srinagar: The eighth phase of panchayat
elections is being held on Thursday in four blocks of the Kashmir
Valley and three blocks of Jammu division, officials said.
In central Kashmir, votes were being cast in B K Pora
block of Budgam district.
Voting is also underway in Shahabad block in Anantnag
district of south Kashmir, in Trehgam block of Kupwara
district and Rafiabad block of Baramulla district in north
The three blocks in Jammu division where the panchayat
elections are underway include Akhnoor block in Jammu
district, Barnoti block in Kathua district and in Sunderbani
block in Rajouri district.
By 9 am, 14 per cent votes were cast, an official at
the Chief Electoral Office said.
The first leg of the 16-phase polls was held in eight
blocks of Jammu and Kashmir on April 13.
The elections for the ninth phase will be held on May
16 and tenth phase will be held on May 21.
Last six phases will be held on May 25, May 29, June
2, June 6, June 11 and June 16.
Panchayat elections are being held in the state after
a gap of ten years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah