Eighth phase of panchayat polls underway in J&K
Srinagar: The eighth phase of panchayat
elections is being held on Thursday in four blocks of the Kashmir
Valley and three blocks of Jammu division, officials said.
In central Kashmir, votes were being cast in B K Pora
block of Budgam district.
Voting is also underway in Shahabad block in Anantnag
district of south Kashmir, in Trehgam block of Kupwara
district and Rafiabad block of Baramulla district in north
The three blocks in Jammu division where the panchayat
elections are underway include Akhnoor block in Jammu
district, Barnoti block in Kathua district and in Sunderbani
block in Rajouri district.
By 9 am, 14 per cent votes were cast, an official at
the Chief Electoral Office said.
The first leg of the 16-phase polls was held in eight
blocks of Jammu and Kashmir on April 13.
The elections for the ninth phase will be held on May
16 and tenth phase will be held on May 21.
Last six phases will be held on May 25, May 29, June
2, June 6, June 11 and June 16.
Panchayat elections are being held in the state after
a gap of ten years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Bhagwant Mann video row: LS Speaker seeks report on Parliament security, may summon AAP MP
- My presidency will restore `safety` in US, says Donald Trump in acceptance speech
- Vatican invited to mediate in Venezuela crisis
- Nigeria 'talking to' oil rebels: Buhari
- Muslims have always been a part of America: Obama