Employees` strike affects work in Kashmir
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir government employees Monday went on strike, affecting work in most offices in summer capital Srinagar, and held rallies to press for their demands.
The employees have been demanding payment of arrears of their salaries enhanced on the recommendations of the Sixth Pay Commission, raising the retirement age from the present 58 to 60, regular employment to daily wagers and ad hoc employees, and hike in emoluments for Anganwari workers.
Around 2,000 employees assembled outside the civil secretariat in Srinagar, where union leaders addressed them, to mount pressure on the government for acceptance of their demands.
Heavy security arrangements have been made around the civil secretariat to prevent the employees` march.
The civil secretariat houses the offices of the chief minister, his cabinet colleagues and all senior bureaucrats.
"Work continued as usual and the employees` strike has not affected the routine inside the civil secretariat," a senior officer told reporters.
There are over two lakh government employees in the state but it is not clear as yet how many went on strike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex