Employees` strike affects work in Kashmir
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir government employees Monday went on strike, affecting work in most offices in summer capital Srinagar, and held rallies to press for their demands.
The employees have been demanding payment of arrears of their salaries enhanced on the recommendations of the Sixth Pay Commission, raising the retirement age from the present 58 to 60, regular employment to daily wagers and ad hoc employees, and hike in emoluments for Anganwari workers.
Around 2,000 employees assembled outside the civil secretariat in Srinagar, where union leaders addressed them, to mount pressure on the government for acceptance of their demands.
Heavy security arrangements have been made around the civil secretariat to prevent the employees` march.
The civil secretariat houses the offices of the chief minister, his cabinet colleagues and all senior bureaucrats.
"Work continued as usual and the employees` strike has not affected the routine inside the civil secretariat," a senior officer told reporters.
There are over two lakh government employees in the state but it is not clear as yet how many went on strike.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case