`Empowering Panchayats prerogative of J&K govt`
Srinagar: Rahul Gandhi on Friday said implementation of amendments empowering Panchayats was the prerogative of Jammu and Kashmir Government, putting to rest speculation of a rift with Congress ally National Conference on this issue.
Rallying behind Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, Rahul told a gathering of nearly 3,000 Panchayat members who met him at the SKICC that implementation of 73rd and 74th amendment of Panchayati Raj Act was the prerogative of the state government.
"I am no one to announce implementation of amendments like 73rd and 74th here. It’s for people of Kashmir and their elected representatives to decide. The amendments are a state prerogative," he was quoted as having said.
The statement of Rahul virtually ruling out any move by Congress to push for the implementation of the amendments may come as a dampener for some state Congress leaders who were using the issue of empowering of Panchayats to target senior coalition partner National Conference.
The 73rd amendment envisages a Gram Sabha in a village or group of villages; constitution of Panchayats at village and other level or levels; direct elections to all seats in Panchayats at the village and intermediate level and powers thereof.
The 74th amendment deals with provisions for having local bodies, including municipal, to collect taxes and oversee other activities for development of urban areas.
Rahul said he had spoken on this issue to Omar who is working on plans for empowering the Panchayat system in the state.
The Congress party, which is for strengthening of Panchayati Raj system in the country, would work with the alliance partner for a timely implementation of the plans, he said.
Ahead of the meeting, commotion was witnessed outside the venue when some of the local Congress leaders protested at not being invited to the Panchayat meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you