Encounter between militants, security forces in J&K
Srinagar: A gunbattle broke out on Saturday between militants and security forces in Sopore town of Kashmir`s Baramulla district.
Security forces launched a cordon and search operation in Chanakhan locality of Sopore, 52 kms from here, following information about presence of militants in the area, police said.
As the security forces were closing in on the location of militants, the ultras opened fire, they said.
No one was reported to be injured in the firing but security forces have strengthened the cordon around the area by rushing in additional personnel, they said.
Further details of the incident are awaited.
Militants yesterday opened fire on an Army convoy and at a prominent hotel on the outskirts of Srinagar killing a bellboy and injuring two others in the first terror attack in this city since May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka