Encounter between militants, security forces in J&K
Srinagar: A gunbattle broke out on Saturday between militants and security forces in Sopore town of Kashmir`s Baramulla district.
Security forces launched a cordon and search operation in Chanakhan locality of Sopore, 52 kms from here, following information about presence of militants in the area, police said.
As the security forces were closing in on the location of militants, the ultras opened fire, they said.
No one was reported to be injured in the firing but security forces have strengthened the cordon around the area by rushing in additional personnel, they said.
Further details of the incident are awaited.
Militants yesterday opened fire on an Army convoy and at a prominent hotel on the outskirts of Srinagar killing a bellboy and injuring two others in the first terror attack in this city since May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert