Encounter on in Sopore, 3 LeT militants killed
Srinagar: Three hardcore militants belonging to the Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) were killed in two separate encounters in Sopore area of north Kashmir late on Thursday.
One security personnel was also killed in gun-battle between the security forces and the militant, which is still continuing on Friday.
According to reports, a joint operation of the Army and other security agencies was launched at two places in Sopore area of Baramulla district, 55 km from Srinagar, since Wednesday night.
The operation was launched following a tip off about the presence of militants in the area, who might had sneaked recently after upper reaches received heavy snowfall.
The security forces’ first encounter with militants took place at Cherhaar forest area.
Besides the Sopore police, the Army’s 27 RR and special forces of 9 Para participated in the operation in the forest area of Cherhaar.
One army jawan also received injuries in the cross-firing.
The second encounter with militants took place in Sopore where two ultras were killed after they opened fire on security forces at Mundgaji area.
The operation is still on despite poor weather as the security forces believe more LeT militants might be hiding in the forest area here.
It has been raining since morning in the valley.
Militants sneak into residential areas once upper reaches are snowed. Every year during winters, there is increase in encounter between militants and security forces in the hinterland.
With Agency Input
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram