Enhance daily wages of workers: J-K govt to Centre
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Government has asked the Centre to enhance the daily wages of workers under the MGNREGA from Rs 121 to Rs 180 while increasing the number of guaranteed work days from 100 to 150 per year.
The suggestion was put forth by Rural Development Minister Ali Mohammad Sagar during a meeting with Union Secretary Rural Development B K Sinha here yesterday, an official spokesman said.
The spokesman said Sagar and Sinha discussed various measures for giving fillip to the implementation of the flagship MGNREGA scheme in the state.
The Minister also batted for widening the scope of MGNREGA to bring handicrafts and weaving under its ambit.
"During winters various works under the MGNREGA scheme get stopped in most parts of the state. The ambit and scope of scheme should be widened to include self employment activities like handicraft and weaving during the harsh winter," Sagar said.
Sinha appreciated the state government for its remarkable achievement in implementation of various rural development schemes especially MGNREGA saying employment would be provided to over one lakh unemployed youth under National Rural Livelihood Mission NRLM within next three years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued