Escalation in ceasefire violations by Pakistan: Army
Jammu: There has been escalation in ceasefire violations by Pakistan Army, which has been attempting to push militants across LoC into Indian side by taking advantage of inclement weather, the Army on Sunday said.
"Pakistan Army has been attempting to push maximum number of infiltrators across the line of control, under cover of heavy firing and poor weather conditions" Defence Public Relation officer (PRO), Northern Command, J&K, Lt Col Rajesh Kalia said here on a day Pakistani troops violated the ceasefire again by firing mortar shells in Uri sector.
He said ceasefire violations by Pakistan Army have escalated in recent times. In last about one month, Pakistan Army has violated the cease fire agreement nearly a dozen times, the officer said.
Most of these firing incidents were in Rajouri, Uri and Keran Sector to assist infiltration attempts by terrorists.
"It may be recalled that in Oct 2012, three innocent civilians were killed in Uri sector due to Pakistani mortar firing on Indian village of Churunda," the Defence spokesman said.
Pakistan Army has also been resorting to sending terrorists across the Line of Control to plant mines on tracks in hinterland, Lt Col Kalia said.
Regarding today`s ceasefire violation in Uri sector, he said at 0330 hours the Pakistan Army posts "opened unprovoked heavy machine gun and mortar fire on Indian Posts in Uri Sector to infiltrate terrorists".
Indian Army gave a calibrated response and foiled their attempt to sneak through he said adding that the firing continued till about 8 AM.
"Some civilian houses were damaged due to Pakistani firing. There has been no cross border movement by Indian troops," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees