Escalation in ceasefire violations by Pakistan: Army
Jammu: There has been escalation in ceasefire violations by Pakistan Army, which has been attempting to push militants across LoC into Indian side by taking advantage of inclement weather, the Army on Sunday said.
"Pakistan Army has been attempting to push maximum number of infiltrators across the line of control, under cover of heavy firing and poor weather conditions" Defence Public Relation officer (PRO), Northern Command, J&K, Lt Col Rajesh Kalia said here on a day Pakistani troops violated the ceasefire again by firing mortar shells in Uri sector.
He said ceasefire violations by Pakistan Army have escalated in recent times. In last about one month, Pakistan Army has violated the cease fire agreement nearly a dozen times, the officer said.
Most of these firing incidents were in Rajouri, Uri and Keran Sector to assist infiltration attempts by terrorists.
"It may be recalled that in Oct 2012, three innocent civilians were killed in Uri sector due to Pakistani mortar firing on Indian village of Churunda," the Defence spokesman said.
Pakistan Army has also been resorting to sending terrorists across the Line of Control to plant mines on tracks in hinterland, Lt Col Kalia said.
Regarding today`s ceasefire violation in Uri sector, he said at 0330 hours the Pakistan Army posts "opened unprovoked heavy machine gun and mortar fire on Indian Posts in Uri Sector to infiltrate terrorists".
Indian Army gave a calibrated response and foiled their attempt to sneak through he said adding that the firing continued till about 8 AM.
"Some civilian houses were damaged due to Pakistani firing. There has been no cross border movement by Indian troops," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore