Ex J&K Dy CM gives `conditional` resignation
Jammu: Former deputy chief minister and leader of opposition People`s Democratic Party Muzaffar Hussain Baig Wednesday, in a move meant to embarrass the government, submitted his resignation from the state legislative assembly to the speaker.
"If the chief minister is helpless in his efforts to get AFSPA (Armed Forces Special Powers Act) removed from Jammu and Kashmir, I hereby submit my resignation to the speaker. As and when Omar Abdullah resigns on the issue, my resignation, too, may be accepted," Baig said.
Omar Abdullah had Tuesday made an emotional speech in the assembly after he learnt of death of a young man of Baramulla, allegedly in army firing.
He said that he was tired of having to answer to the people on such incidents.
However, Omar Abdullah denied rumours that he had resigned or had plans of resigning, despite a speech in which he said he was helpless.
"What can I do. I can only seek forgiveness from the people. I cannot go on promising endlessly that I would get them justice, what`s this chair, it is not important, what`s important is human life," the chief minister had said.
He had tweeted later that he had no plans to quit.
Baig surprised everyone by submitting his resignation to the speaker with the condition that it may be accepted only when the chief minister too resigned from his post and the membership of the house.
Baig represents Baramulla assembly constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’