Explanation from J&K police in custody death case
New Delhi: The National Human Rights
Commission on Thursday sought explanation from Jammu and Kashmir
Police as to why it did not intimate it about the death of
a youth in custody within the stipulated 24 hours.
The action came after NHRC received a complaint
from an activist about the incident.
An NHRC spokesperson said the Commission has asked its
Director General (Investigation) to collect requisite reports
from concerned authorities within eight weeks and report to
It has also sought an explanation from the Director
General of Police as to why the intimation about the death in
police custody was not communicated within 24 hours to the
Commission as per its guidelines, the spokesperson said.
The complaint was with regard to the death of Nazim
Rashid (28) in police custody in Sopore of North Kashmir on
"The Commission received a complaint about the
incident from Dr Lenin of People`s Vigilance Committee on
Human Rights, on August one through email, whereby he referred
a news link which alleged that Rashid, resident of Alamdar
Colony of Krankshiven was tortured to death by the Special
Operation Group (SOG) of police and Army officials in Sopore
Town," the spokesperson said.
The family members of Rashid alleged that their son
was picked up by the SOG in the presence of army officials on
July 30 afternoon for questioning in connection with the
killing of a labourer Muhammad Ashraf Dar.
They came to know through some journalists that Rashid
died in police custody and also the post mortem was conducted
in presence of a magistrate, the family claimed.
The family also alleged that the body of Rashid was
not handed over to them.
Abdul Rashid Shall, father of Rashid, alleged that
there were visible marks of torture on the victim`s body, the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!