Extra tight security for PM Narendra Modi`s Kashmir visit
Srinagar: Sharp shooters, barricades, luggage checks and more - the security forces are taking no chances in Srinagar and other parts of the Valley on the eve of Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s visit to Jammu and Kashmir on Friday.
Traffic moved at a snail`s pace Lal Chowk, Residency Road, Jahangir Chowk, Karan Nagar and other busy business hubs in the city on Thursday as police erected barricades, stopped vehicles and checked luggage to prevent guerrillas from carrying out any attack here.
Sharpshooters have also been posted at vantage points in the city and some other towns of the Valley to keep round the clock vigil at such places.
Modi is chairing a high level security review meeting at the Badami Bagh headquarters of Army`s 15th corps in Srinagar on Friday.
The meeting would also be attended by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, GOC-n-C army`s northern command Lieutenant General D.S. Hooda, state Director General of Police K Rajendra Kumar, GOCs of 14th, 15th and 16th corps, senior officials of central and state intelligence agencies besides those from central paramilitary forces.
The Prime Minister is scheduled to inaugurate a 240 megawatt hydro-power in the border town of Uri in Baramulla district.
The 87-kilometre long highway from Srinagar to Uri is being secured by over 2,000 security personnel even though the same would not be used by the prime minister to reach Uri town.
"He is scheduled to fly to Uri, but the prime minister`s entourage and all other officials would be using the highway to reach Uri town," official sources said here.
Separatists have called for a complete Valley wide shutdown on Friday against Modi`s visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- US reaffirms cooperation with India in fight against terrorism
- Watch: Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra’s desi swag will make you go crazy!
- Search for missing IAF AN-32 aircraft continues for sixth day
- Man who tried to commit suicide outside Chhattisgarh CM's house dies
- Watch how you can keep your bookshelves neat and clean!